Thread: Laptop Project
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
t0mme

In the config.sys and autoexec.bat I wrote, the line

DOS=HIGH

reads

DOS=HIGH,UMB

This way DOS is not only loaded in high memory, but also in the upper memory blocks. I remember a complicated diagram I once used to sort out all those memory affairs. Convetional, Extendend, Expanded, UMB etc.

FYI, this are my files:

Config.sys
Code:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.exe I=B000-B7FF i=e000-efff ram d=128
Devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\mouse2\mouse.sys
Devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vide-cdd.sys /d:oem001
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=031,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40
FCBS=1,0
STACKS=0,0
Autoexec.bat
Code:
C:\Progra~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\bootup.exe
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
@echo off
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mdoe con codepage select=850
SET SOUND16=C:\OPTI924
loadhigh C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /d:oem001 /L:D /V /M:12
loadhigh C:\W32PDRV\UTIL\TLIVESA.COM
C:\OPTI924\sndinit.com /b
Indeed, it's a DOS/W95 machine. Configuring it took me 2 yeats, but I can run every game as I have 624k conventional memory permanent available ans 32MB EMS and 128 XMS. Me so lucky.

In my EMM386 line you see a couple of I-parameters. The first "I" disables the support for monochrome monitors and therefore frees up some memory, but I don't know anymore what kind of memory.
Actually, I haven't been looking at these files for a couple of years because it's a complete problem-free configuration (for my pc).

One tip, try to hunt down a DOS-manual. I used a DOS7-manual, although I have DOS6. Actually, it's the only source of information I used. I stresses for instance the importance that the the order in which you put your lines is very very important.
A quick example, a bit technical but vital:

Use the command "mem /f". This displays the amount of free conventional and upper memory blocks. The important thing is that you must try to cram every program (mscdex, mouse.com etc) in the umb. In my case, mem /f shows that I have 3 regions of umb. One of 26k, 32k, and 64k. When using the command mem /c/p you'll see that mscdex uses 31k, so you should put it in the second umb. If you put the mscdex-line in the top of your autoexec.bat it means it's the first program and the comp will try to put it in the first umb. Put as you can see, it's only 26k and programs can't be split between umbs. So it will discard the first umb and goes on to the second, where it will fit. That's fine, but the first umb is discarded so it can't be used anymore.... The trick is to load some others programs before you load mscdex (move some lines in autoexec or config). Example: If you have one program of 20k and one of 5k (check with mem/c/p) you should load those before mscdex, so the first umb is completely filled. You get my point? If you have a program in your autoexec.bat which needs 60k and you put it up front, you'll lose the other umbs, because the 64k was the last one.
I hope you understand my technical gibberish...

And don't forget to modify your msdos.sys so it includes these lines:
Code:
[OPTIONS]
Logo=0
BootMulti=1
BootMenu=1
BootDefault=6
BootMenuDelay=10
Network=1
Goof around with these parameters to mod them at your needs. These lines provide you with a nice start-up menu which you otherwise get if you hold F8 during boot.