View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #26
Ivo Santos (mcsa2001@mail.dk)

Dune 2 is my favorite game, the sound may be terrible, but thats ok.
Dune 2 runs fine on Win 2000 without sound, never tried on XP/2003.

I have completed the game several times Atreides, Ordos, Harkonnen.

Strategy / Tips

Always go for the best units, cause their will do the trick, using triks or the like to scout the map is usualy a good idea, never attack or near the enemy before your are ready.

I always start by destroying, or taking over the construction yard, this can sometimes be useful.
The next step I use is to destroy the Spice refinerys, so the enemy can't collect what belongs to you.

Next step is to destroy the enemy from one side to another, sometimes it is a good idea to destroy the turrets first, then the buikdings after.

I have notice that when you destroy a building, then let's say you destroy a heavy factory, the enemy seems to get 600 credits extra, which is the same as what the building costs, barracks 300, and so on.

I usualy first build a new base near the enemy, by using a mobile construction vehicle, the new base must contain a powerplant, turrets, perhaps a heavy factory, but ALWAYS A REPAIR FACILITY when posible, so the units can by repaired, actualy it saves units, because, they don't need to be tranported to the main base to be repaired. Use this to your advantage.

Atreides good because of their Sonic Tank.
Ordos Sucks.. (incorect!)
Harkonnen Cool, because of their Missiles, and the Devastator.

Tips on Ordos:

To explore the map use raiders, because they are fast, well after scanario 5, or 6 the raider is not strong enough when scouting near the enemy. instead use deviator, or buy Rocket Launcher, their advantage is that their have a long visible distance, and move relativly fast, the only problem is that they tend to be eaten by worms, remember that.

Don't destroy the heavy Factory, instead take them, and use them to you advantage, you may have to upgrade, so that you can produce Siege Tanks.
In scenario 6 you get two Siege Tanks, and thats all, if my memory is ok.
gard them with you life, their must not be eaten by worms, they must not by destroyed by the enemy, until you take one of their Heavy Factories.

To win the first 4 or five scenarions, first build not one but two or three Spice Refineries, so you can harvest more spice than the enemy, build as many as it is posiible of the best units, and attack. remeber to destroy the enemy harvester.

some hate or don't think that the saboteur, can be used for nothing, well i use this unit two destroy inportant building, they tend too blow up or someting like that if ypu are not carefull, so always move them at a relative short distance at a time, and remember to keep track where their are.

About Me:
My favorite unit: The Devastator, wonder if the states are developing one of these, they developed the nucklear submarine so why not, after that The Siege Tank.

Also I like the humor in the game, have you tried to read some of the text.
Here's what the Harkonnen's say about the Ordos Raider Trike:

:Brain:
<humor:fun>
This is a pitful little machine
For some reasons the ordos believe that this overblown
Trike can out maneuver and out fire our Quads.

</humor:fun>

They should have writen:
"This is a pitful little machine
For some reasons the ordos believe that this overblown
Trike can out maneuver and out fire our Devastators"

The last scanario can only be win by either Siege Tanks or Devastator's.
forget all other non Heavy Factory units, except palace units