View Single Post
Old 15-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #26
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by SirPeter@May 15 2006, 08:21 PM
OK saw the video and to be honoust this is a non-discusion. Why? becourse if you know that your isp is doing crap like that then you change to another.

The isp's will cut into their own fingers if they do that and they will lose allot of customers.
I disagree, I think the opposite would happen, the ISPs who do this are able to undercut those who don't. Those who do not take this course of action will be the ones cutting their fingers. It is simply the nature of the market for ISPs that the lowest priced ISPs are almost always the most popular (the demand is very price elastic, to use an economics term).

Like I said, letting market forces take thier course is very dangerous as there are so many factors to consider and they are so hard to measure.

Also, with regards to the US not controlling the internet, I'm pretty sure that the root servers for the internet are in the US (or something important like that, I don't know much about the details of how the internet works).

Anyway, regardless of this, there will be a "landslide effect". Add to this the fact that many of the msot popular websites are based in the US and this bill becomes a major thing.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell