View Single Post
Old 15-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #56
pola
Lurker

Hi, I've just downloaded the pack and unpacked in my dosbox games folder, but I get the same message as mentioned by someone before:

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows.

Make sure that the PATH line in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file points to the directory that contains the file and that it exists on your hard disk. If the file does not exist, try running Setup to install it or remove any references to it from your SYSTEM.INI file.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\windpmi.386
Press a key to continue"

Upon pressing any key the message pops up again, and again, and again into infinity, so the only thing to do is close Dosbox.

Steps:
1. I run dosbox as admin
2. I mount d d:\games\dosboxgames (where I unpacked both the windows pack and the game I want to play, without any subfolders)
3. I go to d:
4. I run windows.bat
5. I get the error message (above)

The game I'm trying to run is Ace Ventura, I've read that I need Windows 3 to run it. My Dosbox version is Dosbox-0.74. My Windows version is Windows 8.1. If I try to run the game without calling windows.bat, I get the error message "This program requires Microsoft Windows". It seems like a vicious circle - game doesn't recognize I have Windows, Windows doesn't recognize I have the game. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to run the game? Many thanks!
pola is offline                         Send a private message to pola