View Single Post
Old 16-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
CrybKeeper
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Boat Commander David View Post
We still have stores like that around here, but they are not doing good... had lots of fun with stuff from there waaaaaaaaay back in 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintopotere View Post
You're lucky... I've no shops like that here

(or, at least, I don't know about their existence)
Game Stop, Game Trader, we have a couple here. The best place to find a good collection of old PC games or any selection at all, is a second hand store. Even these stores are getting out of PC games. It's sad for the solo PC gamer, but online gaming is the new trend.

Retail outlets are liquidating their stock of PC gaming software and whittling it down, to online games, computer essentials and media. Again, this is a topic I have researched and written a few articles about it.

Here is an excerpt from my blogs at USA Today:

Is PC Gaming A Dead Platform?
Posted 9/30/2008 10:25 PM EDT USA time
Thinking of trading in your computer for an XBox360? Think again, because you may want to hold on to that PC. Those who say PC gaming is dying off, should really take a second look. In fact, it's totally the opposite and the gaming market is dominated by PC gamers.

Up until late 2007, the hard data on PC game sales was extremely lacking. Most experts were positive that PC game sales were shrinking, but no one could tell for sure, because the NPD - A marketing analysis group that tracks all video game sales - had never attempted to track the on-line portion of PC game sales. Nor had any other marketing research group.
In late 2007, Intel and AMD decided to team up... to save PC gaming and hopefully find a better way to track the actual sales of PC games. Early this year, the two chip giants joined forces, along with Microsoft and Dell to create the "PC Gaming Alliance"

Now that the PCGA is keeping tabs on actual sales, the truth has finally come out and the hard data is showing that PC gaming is on the rise. PC game sales are larger than any one console's game sales, holding over 30% of the total gaming market as of 9/18/08.

According to PCGA President Randy Stude, "The PCGA analysis clearly shows incredible growth in online PC gaming, proof that the industry is far stronger than anyone has reported," Stude also said, "Today’s consumers shop where they live - online..."
Sources: NPD Group, PC Gamers Alliance.org, Intel

Last edited by CrybKeeper; 16-05-2009 at 06:07 PM.
CrybKeeper is offline                         Send a private message to CrybKeeper