View Single Post
Old 27-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #448
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default The Legend of Zelda

This game isn't THAT bad, but would be even better if it'd stop trolling you.

1) READ THE MANUAL. They give you the map of Dungeon 1-2, the majority of the overworld map, order of Dungeon 1-4. So that's cool.
2) They even direct you to the 5th Dungeon,and give hints finding Dungeon 7-9!
3) the ladder is horrendously implemented though.
4) the boomerang is useful, although I'm sure it does not stun certain enemies when returning. This is I think compensated by that it eliminates smaller things(small bats, small oozes).
6) most overwolrd enemies do not respawn until you enter a Dungeon, buy something from a shop or respawn. Thx for the unlimited Continue.
7) unfortunately the fish-thingies in the waters respawn instantly leaving and re-entering the screen. As well as a lot of Dungeon-creatures.
8) the manual straight out lies about defeating fish-thingies with the basic sword.
9) the 4th dungeon is trolling. You need max HP to pass the dragon, but the respawning hordes of bats, the traps in that dark room etc. ... I'd quit if the emulator hadn't have proper save!
10) for the 5th dungeon know this: you can use up all but 1 bomb in the two blue-knight room. You'll get after that a 12 bomb replenish!
11) knights are tedious. You can only hit them with the sword, and not from the front. That's hard, and mostly mean do it w/o any damage. Very sad the bow can not be used here either.
12) I thought can use the raft manualy. No, it is fully automatic.
13) the triceratops are badly designed. Ok, when you first meet them, youonly have 2 items to choose from, so that's not bad. But you mustfeed them 2 bombs? How am I supposed to figure that out? If it'd be 1 bomb, it'd be almost clever, this way it is BAD.
14) I'd need reliable source of bombs and helaing. Especialy healing in Dungeons. And for the 5th dungeon, where 1 room demands 6 bombs out of 8, some replenish would be welcomed u know.
15) as long as you don't care for the extra supplies, don't worry about finding hidden rooms. The Dungeons tell you where ALL rooms are when oyu pick up the current map. If you can't reach a room - THEN start blasting.
16) you don't get damaged by the bomb
17) when you mess with statues (obviously for hidden stuff), never touch them from below! That causes damage. Also, there's an 50% chance it'll be superfast, so prepare with boomerang.
18) use save when gambling to make sure you win! (the game originaly had save feature too!)
19) in the cemetaries the tombstones generate infinite amount of ghosts (1 per touch). This is to fuck with the player, who has to find the quest-related tombstone amongst the gazillion bad ones. GOOD NEWS: the extra ghosts summoned by touching,disappear when you leave/reenter!
20) hint with those thingies in Dungeon 6: they shoot where they see. They don't follow you. So just stand aside to a safe spot. (If it'd be this easy in every room...)

-----------

21) Someone messed it up when it cames to which old man tells you what tree to burn down for Dungeon 8, and I dunno who. The one near the ocean gives instead the letter to one of the old woman.
22) while the clues and red herrings are abit misleading for finding the last dungeon, it is ok.
23) you can only have ONE potion, darn.
24) things to use the arrow on: bunnies, crab boss, ganon
25) the magic wand "shoots swords". Or arrows, but for free. Sadly it doesn't work on knights, nor on wizards (the crateures shooting the same effect as the basic wand)
26) the upped wand just combines the candle-effect with the wand-effect. Still useless on knights.
27) would things please not be immun to damage? Also, if you perish, could you please get a FULL REFILL, not just 3 hearts out of 12+?
28) "food" (meat? bait?) is a ONE USE item. I mean you use it, you have to walk all the way back to buy another. Justdon't bother, as this is also a one-time quest item, and the bait-function doesn't work on everything (meaning: on nothing you want it to).
29) flame, including your own flame from candles or the upped wand CAN HURT YOU
30) there's such thing as 1/4 heart loss. It won't show up initialy, but if you get twice that damage, you'll loose 0.5 heart. With -0.5 heart you're a cripple who can't shoot swords, that's why this is important.

Btw, yes, I did the game w/o any help ... aside the manual of course ... Until Dungeon 7, maybe 6. And even there I only did that because of the HP-situation. Next time just give a full refill, Nintendo, ok?
Because progressing, leaving, crawlinf through half the map for a Fairy Fountain (should be called Lake), crawling back on the stumps the remaining of my legs after all this walking, is just killing the pace!

Oh, and Heart Containers are the thing, so when you raft to that island with the old man trying to scam you with a potion instead- laugh in his face!

Btw, the game is sexist. You can shoot the Old Men, but not the Old Women? Outrage!

For the final dungeon - which by the narrative has nothing to do with Level 1-8, which are created by Zelda(!), instead this is the hideout/fortress of Gannon - obviously using a premade map. And doesn't even try doing it in one go.
Instead first going to get the Red Ring for miniscule damage.
Second, going for the Silver Arrow.
Interrestingly, you don't even need to find the map here, as you suddenly gain automap! Why wasn't this implemented previously, I dunno.
Btw, I feel the clue about the Silver Arrow is more nice on paper than in execution...

Weird thing: even if you pick up a clock, daleks still go underground/rise!

Lastly, here is how to go in the 9th Dungeon:
1st: take the A-stairs, then head to the B-stairs (gains red ring)

2nd: take the A-stairs (from the initial area you can't get out otherwise), then C-stairs, E-stairs, F-stairs (gains silver arrow)
3rd: start with A, C, G, H. There's no alternative from the starting room, as B3's (from left and top)door does not open from this direction. From the end of C go to room left to E, but do not go down, instead go north one room, then left (still safe), then run straight ahead through the next room which has wizards. You'll end up in a room full of wizards you'll have to dispose to make the stairs appear. When you come up through those, run and blast a hole on the western wall - the room beyond is again considered safe (no ranged enemies, aka. wizards).
The stairs there'll bring you to a fly (annoying as depends on RL-luck, and this time you likely have to melee, but otherwise easy), than it's only the main boss! DO NOT drink a potion before entering the room, as I have no idea what's the factor to make the giant pig appear, and you'll get hurt a lot while waiting for a chance to hit!

Last edited by twillight; 28-06-2019 at 07:12 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight