View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

1. Well, Shafer was one of the first. And he consistently make good games in quite distinct manner. So... it's tolerable. Once. I think.

2. Speaking about Hall, it's much more difficult to judge. First at all, he personally responsible for only one RPG - Anachronox. And it is good indeed. But... only one?

3. Kickstarter advertising looks very bad for me. It looks like it's almost purposely bad! Very strange. No direct info, over-the-top price, strange phrases, bizarre pledge rewards... Let me illustrate this:

Quote:
Tom Hall's visionary design on Commander Keen™, Anachronox™ and DOOM™ set the standard for character development, world design and over-the-top immersion.
A-nox - ok. But... character development in Keen and Doom?! What the heck?!
Quote:
Progression: Gain experience and gain levels to hone your characters to your exact liking.
Wow, isn't it a revelation?!
Quote:
60$: All the previous rewards + EARLY BETA ACCESS + DIGITAL ADVENTURER'S GUIDE + A REALLY, SERIOUSLY OLD SCHOOL DIGITAL PEN-AND-PAPER EDITION of Old School RPG
On this stage it's still ok...
Quote:
100$: All the previous rewards + a BOXED EDITION OF OLD SCHOOL RPG + CD CONTAINING THE OLD SCHOOL RPG AND SOUNDTRACK + EXCLUSIVE OLD SCHOOL RPG LOGO T-SHIRT + VIP IN-GAME CHARACTER HONOR + CUSTOM OLD SCHOOL RPG METAL MEDALLION.
So for extra 40$ I am getting CD, T-shirt and aluminium medallion? Yay, it's great! Give me five of that!

But there are more!
Quote:
1000$: All the previous rewards + BECOME AN NPC, LOCATION OR ITEM + IN-GAME DIAMOND CHARACTER HONOR + IN-GAME LISTING IN OLD SCHOOL RPG "HALL OF HONOR" CREDITS.
So I am giving extra 500$ (as previous level is 500) to have name in-game, extra string in credits (and I already have similar string in credits for 500$) and some bizzare "Diamond honor"? Oh! Totally worth extra 500$! :/

Also, where all this CAPITAL LETTERS originate from? Is it supposed to be very convincing, or what?

All in all - very strange entry. I am surprised that they managed to get 100 000 already. Well, names sells, I suppose.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre