View Single Post
Old 23-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #33
DADi590

I've read a bit more about DOS and DOSBox. Seems that DOS has a default number for a single processnto open files, and that's 20. 5 of them are for stdin and those commands, and the rest are to open any files. The FILES=XXXX is the TOTAL amount of files that can be opened in the system. But each process opens only 15 files at most. And this was written by a DOS programmer in 2002, so at minimum, older versions of DOS had 15 or less files to open by a single process (and Fallout is a single process). Source of this: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/msdos-progr...ection-12.html.

---About the img part---

1 - If I create an ISO wity the game CD (which I own, btw - version 1.2 though, but at least it's the officially most updated one), will it load only the ISO file, or will mount it as in Windows and load the files individually? Because I could install with the Minimum Installation option and run everything from the CD, it it would load only the ISO and all fikes individually (I don't think this would work this way, but doesn't hurt to try asking haha).

2 - In case the point 1 doesn't work as I wanted it to, if I modify a Windows image to have the game on it, can I save the games in a drive out of it? For example, mounting Windows 3.1 (the most light one of the 3 I saw) in C (as it would be an image -file .img -, I wouldn't be able to modify it **** saving games on it) and saving the games in E in a folder, mounted normally in a folder of the memory card. Would this work?

3 - If none of the 2 ideas work, would there be another one?

Thanks again for any help that anyone can provide (and thanks for those who already did).

EDIT: Now I thought about idea 2 again... The game doesn't ask for a place to save! It's always in FALLOUT/DATA/SAVEGAMES. Then I can't save this in another drive....... Cool...... Maybe if I use Minimum Installation and choose to install in another drive and keep the CD being the way to load the game? Still, this would have to be loaded with an img operating system, to overcome the 9 max file loads problem on the PSP (minus one for the DOSBox executable - DOSBox for PSP has only 2 files: the executable and dosbox.conf, and I imagine it will unload the conf file after reading it). So, have a system inside an img file, mount the CD files in another drive and mount a drive for the installation. The last 2 drives would be with locally stored files in the memory card. Windows would be in an img file and wouldn't be possible to change anything on it. As I read in the thread I linked before, it's possible to make a custom image. So, I'd have to install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox for Windows, do what I wrote, save the system in an img file with the installation already made and the shortcuts changed to point to the PSP folders, and put everything running on the PSP. Does this sound it could work? Or I'm missing anything? OR THERE'S AN EASIER WAY?????? Because this is crazy!!!!!! (but if it's the only way, when I get home in a week or so, I'll start looking on how to do this...)

Last edited by DADi590; 23-08-2019 at 11:03 AM.
DADi590 is offline                         Send a private message to DADi590