View Single Post
Old 13-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Ahh, heh, would've never occurred to me

Then again, without knowing the details, I'd never have thought of the games as being captured/ imprisoned by Shrapnel Games. I know only a little about the series, and Shrapnel Games are/were only a distributor, right? And without overly friendly pricing policies at that, as it seems
Well, it was something like 90$ up to 2010, and they will send you printed manual and CD. Transport fees and costs up to me. Then downloads arrived - but it was still 60$, and for that you could only have your download ready for one year. If you want to download your game after that - well, too bad.

And as all of that obviously keep game out of interest for virtually everyone but most devoted strategists, I suppose, it's not the Illwinter fault. Or they failed to realize it. In any case, game was effectively barred from most potential customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Well, the whole system of combat for one. The system of moving units during moving phase for two. The fact that the manual is stupidly empty of all the important bits of info you absolutely need to know before being able to do well for three. And finally, the fact that the game force you to begin with your God creation phase with next to no info whatsoever
Ah. So it's not a game itself, but presentation. Got it.

Well, I can agree with you. It's not a most accessible game in the world, even if manual have tutorial that suppose to introduce all main elements for you. And learning curve is high. But it's not a problem for me - most, if not all good strategies I fail to win now and again, until "knowing it in heart", so it's totally normal for me to understand only partially how it's works here and there in the beginning.

But, of course, I can accept your conclusion. Not everyone is fond of trial and error methods.

Still... what's wrong with movement and battles? I think, first is quite obvious, and second can be leaved to computer anyway. Actually, if you will not give any specific orders, it's frequently would give you better results than giving wrong orders.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre