Thread: Stars!
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Trying to play this with Windows XP.

I get:

Cannot find file ~\Stars!\stars26i.exe (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

DOSBox tells me that I need to run it under Windows
I got this once or twice at work when I had to fine tune my turns.

I am pretty sure it is because you unpacked the game in a subdirectory which is too long for the antique Windows 3.11 coding to handle. Try shortening the directory name or, better yet, unpack the game directly on your root directory. Like "C:\STARS!" or "C:\GAMES\STARS!", for example.

Furthermore, it is possible to set associations for your .M# files. Simply double click on it and select the option to manually associate this file type with the right program. Browse your HD for the stars26i.exe file and select it. The next time you double click on your .M# file, STARS! will automatically open it along with the program.

You will need to do the association for every number of the .M# files, but the second time you will be able to select STARS! from the list of existing programs.