View Single Post
Old 29-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I unpackaged everything just like in the description, but when I try to run windows.bat I get a message that says cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows. Any ideas?
If it doesn't work, then you did something wrong.
As I said before, to actually troubleshoot your problem I need to have the following:
  • A screenshot of the error message
  • A copy of your DOSBox configuration file (if you modified it from the default one, including any changes to the [autoexec] section)
  • The information about your mounts (if they are not defined in the config file)
  • The version number of the DOSBox copy you are using
  • A screenshot of the directory you are mounting as your C drive in DOSBox
  • A screenshot of the Windows directory inside that

And yes, Eagle is a bit incomprehensible today. But he is right that this is a likely cause.

Let's assume you have a c:\dosgames you are mounting as the C drive in DOSBox.
If you unpack the archive to c:\dosgames, mount that as the C drive in DOSBox and then enter windows, the package will start correctly.
If you unpack the archive to c:\dosgames\windows, you are doing it wrong because the package already contains the required directory structure and will give an error message like the one you described.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 29-12-2011 at 04:56 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman