Thread: Gaming Rant
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #65
Skyfly
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrybKeeper View Post
I can sort of agree with that, since I have played Oblivion quite bit thus far. The world is breathtaking graphics, but as you get deeper into the game, you see that it is rather empty of content and the monsters/enemies are not very diverse.

However, heavily modded game play can give some sense of balance.
If I had to vote on which Bethesda game is best, I would vote Morrowind: Graphics are good enough to make you feel immersed in the game, while content is quite varacious and very entertaining.

With Wasteland, I feel as if one's expectations are tempered by the relatively crude presentation of the world in which you're wandering. You know what you're getting with Wasteland and your imagination is left to do its thing.

With Oblivion, the expectations are through the roof and you're going to notice where the presentation is lacking, much more than a game like Wasteland. The imbalance between visual and aural realism and the routine of everyday life is too much, so you're going to notice that things are artificial and that feeling is hard to shake.

I haven't played GTA IV, but San Andreas made its own crude attempt at introducing real-life routine into the game. The cars, the sounds, the pedestrians, they add to the immersion, and that really helps, crude as it may have been... The cut-scenes give the world flavor, they bring life to the people in the world that you're interacting with on a daily basis.

There wasn't much out there while traveling the lands in Oblivion, no workers, no forests with lumber mills, no quarries, not much of anything, no travellers. No traveling companions to interject with their opinion of things or their mood for the day. That left me with an empty feeling. It felt too much like a pretty Diablo than say a Baldur's Gate.
Skyfly is offline                         Send a private message to Skyfly