View Single Post
Old 20-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Unhappy save at least the reviews

I understand that full restoration of Underdogs may be problematic (due to questionable legality of abandonware concept itself) but what must be preserved is the database & reviews. With all respect to abandonia & other sites, HOTU was invaluable for finding stuff you forgot because of its themes & other cataloguing features.

Doesn't she have any backup of the site offline? IIRC she worked in banking, so she should have the right mind for regular backups, right? Damn, that site was big, but don't tell me a DVD wouldn't hold at least the review portion? e.g.: I don't have the latest snapshot of my own dead site, yet I do have outdated copy on CD.

And before we start any recovery process on our own, wouldn't it be appropriate to at least contact her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Anyone who has downloaded any games or gamebooks from HOTU is asked for contact.
I'm trying to rebuild a comprehensive base of HOTU's reviews using contents from The Internet Archive's database, and of it's downloads using archives stored by various people.
If my humble person may be of any help... during my "modem years" I was saving everything (to read offline) so I have ~ 220 review pages... maybe some d/ls too

Last edited by RRS; 21-02-2009 at 12:08 AM.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS