View Single Post
Old 23-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #25
Calamity
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by einherjar@Feb 22 2005, 05:27 PM
Believe me, if you're an English major and/or you spend a lot of time proofreading essays for an English professor or tutoring English students, constant grammar problems do make you cringe. Imagine having to proofread a 7 page essay that was meant well, but poorly organized and filled with grammar and punctuation errors. It's not fun.

Addressing everyone else: See, the importance of good grammar and punctuation is not to make life more miserable for you, but rather to make your work more fluid and easier to read for your target audience. One of the three reasons I had joined this site was because I hoped that the reviewing community would learn from example. A good chunk of Abandonians speak English as a second language, and it would be good for them to learn from someone who always knew English and whose discipline is English. I gave up writing reviews here because of the bad attitudes some people gave me during my time here. I had hoped to speak with Kosta about starting a grammar program where reviews are not posted right away, but are first cleared by grammar "coaches" who review the review and give the reviewer tips in private for writing based on any problems that were in the review.
I agree completely with you, that's why I have such an issue with people writing "u" or "r" instead of a simple three letter word. The way you present yourself on the net (in a review or otherwise) is a reflection of how you are in the "real world". If you can't take the time to properly express yourself a lot of people won't take you seriously.

That being said if this team does come through and you have another open slot I'll be more than willing to lend a hand.
Calamity is offline                         Send a private message to Calamity