View Single Post
Old 24-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
I doubt any VM supports Win95 enough to play the games. Well, you'll definitely _will_ be able to play some of them - but mostly it will be the same games that can be played without VM even now. Stumbling stones, like exotic videomodes, 3D-acceleration, accurate clock emulation, etc. - they are usually the same poor on VMs as on real modern hardware. That's why late 90s is the least preserved gaming era for now.
The only good working solution I've had with such games, like Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat for example, is to get an older desktop / tower / laptop like Pentium II-400 or maybe Pentium III-800 or similar, with at least 16MB RAM or 32MB RAM would be better, 128MB should be the absolute maximum for Windows 98SE.
And that computer can be set up with an old Soundblaster Live! soundcard, unless it's a laptop, you'd have to tinker with the Ms-Dos part of Windows 98SE though, properly set, that can run most all newer Ms-Dos and Win95 games without a hitch. Older, slower Ms-Dos games however will run at an abnormal light speed, but that's what DosBox on modern computers is for.
Some post Win95 games like Knights of the Old Republic I and II can't run on modern computers with Windows 10 either, I've tried a lot, or for example the original Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate II. That's where an older Windows XP computer or laptop can be way helpful, eBay often has people still selling those, and it'd be your best bet for awesome, but impossible to get to run on modern machines, games.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty