Thread: Custom Dos Pc.
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 2 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]272997[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Pentium systems require paired memory... unlike 486[/b]
I think that might be what brought down my first windows machine.
Quote:
If you're going for FAT-16... DO NOT USE 1 GB PARTITIONS!!! Never-ever!!! With FAT-16 filesystem, cluster size goes up to 20-30 kb. If you have few files but large ones, it'll do. If you have a smattering of small files, you'll end up with a gross waste of space. (been there, done that).
[/b]
FAT-32 it is then. So that makes it FreeDOS
Quote:
If you want to use both DOS and Windows on this machine, dual hard drives are preferable to a single one, especially if you couple that with a Midi Tower case (3x 5,25" drive bays, so that you still have space for a CD drive) and two internal drive racks (each attached to a different IDE channel). That way, you can quickly shutdown the machine, swap the racks and start the other OS.
[/b]
okay, swap racks might be complicated, but I definitely favoured 2 hard drives over one partitioned HD.
Quote:
As to soundcard compatibility... duh, my personal favorite is ESS 1887, primarily because one of them has been with me for ages and I have no reason to complain. Full Sound Blaster 2 compatibility, stereo sound, built-in volume regulation, MIDI/game port... the works. Personally, I prefer SB2 to SB16... some of the MIDI music in the games sounds way different between the two types (vide Flashback... particularly the outro).
[/b]
I did some research today (not very thorough) but couldn't find anything on the differences between those ESS models. I prefer the 1868 for the same reasons, but I suppose the 1887 would be better, since it seems to be a successor of some sort.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder