View Single Post
Old 17-03-2005, 06:51 AM   #7
Hkizzle
Forum hobbit

Computer addiction and computer gaming in particular are actually growing problems that are not well documented or receive enough media attention.

The media have tried to link gaming to violence, which I think is stupid. Gamers know games are not reality.

However, I think that a lot of gamers are border line addicted to gaming. I was addicted to a MMORPG before (was my first and last). Playing till too late at night, and not stopping when I know I should stop.
The classic, play for another 5 minutes (repeated 30 times) syndrome.

Computer gaming alters one of the neurotransmitters in the brain (I think serotonin, can't remember), by elevating it and therefore creating a sense of pleasure. So it makes you want to keep doing it, and feel bad when not doing it.

In MMORPG games, the addiction is worse because you get a sense of achievement from leveling up, and also social interaction with other players.

Symptoms for computer addiction in general (not just gaming) from the following site http://www.computeraddiction.com/

Having a sense of well-being or euphoria while at the computer
Inability to stop the activity
Craving more and more time at the computer
Neglect of family and friends
Feeling empty, depressed, irritable when not at the computer
Lying to employers and family about activities
Problems with school or job

It's easy for people to say wow, you're messed up, just stop playing!

Well, if you can stop then it is not addiction.....

It's easy to say, but don't get too caught up in gaming! If you are caught up, you really need a lot of will power to quit, or help from others. At the very least, know where you stand.

BTW, I love this site. I thought games from my childhood was lost forever.
Hkizzle is offline                         Send a private message to Hkizzle