View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
windows take up 3.6 GB of space of which pagefile.sys takes up 1 gb? How do i move the pagefile.sys to another disk? and even if i move that 1gb would this space be filled up ?
System properties - advanced - virtual memory. You can change the size of the pagefile and the disk it resides on.

Quote:
just like the 500 MB that somehow dissapeared. would defragging help?
Defragging wouldn't.
Quote:
can it even be done with such low disk space?
Not with M$hit defragger. But with a different program? Sure. The only difference would be how fast and efficient the process will be.
Quote:
Honestly i dont' know what the hell MS is doing. before that disk always had a little over 1GB free space. now suddenly withouth any new programmes installed it has only 200 or 340. depends how long you wait for it when it starts up.
Manually clear contents of the Temp and Temporary Internet Files directories.

I think there's also some uninstallation information stored with some of the system patches, and deleting that can save you even more space. Never done it, though.

Quote:
I have other disks with plenty of space but this system disk has a sudden problem of running out of memorry. but i am not sure if adding a partition from another disk would be possible or even a good thing to do (since they would be phisically separated).
You could perhaps move your entire "My Documents" directory to a different drive? It requires editing the registry keys, but works if you provide the correct paths.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman