Thread: New XCOM
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Panthro
Man of Science

I've played it much more now, and I'm really getting the feel for it.

It's got quite a lot of charm to it, and it's very enjoyable. It just takes some getting used to.

There's a certain amount of what I can only describe as "story" elements, which I initially discounted as being an annoying diversion. However, as you play through the game the personalities of your staff (you get info from a chief scientist, engineer and command assistant) become more tolerable and the little cinematics more palatable.

I'm enjoying the tactical gameplay too, even if their choice of "move+shoot" rather than "time units" isn't quite to my taste. Essentially they've put these limitations in place for gameplay reasons, and generally they work out.

My attempts to play through it in "Classic" mode have failed though, and now I'm having a much better (and more enjoyable) time with the far easier "Normal" mode. I've always used "Ironman" option though, it makes the game a bit more tense when you can't just reload when a mission goes wrong.

I can see why reviewers heap praise on it, and it's certainly deserving of a certain amount of that. However, I wish they'd mentioned more prominently things like the awkward UI and forced mission choices.

Still glad I bought it though! Even if it means I haven't touched Dishonored yet.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro