View Single Post
Old 29-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Frontend? FRONTEND? You don't need any frontends!
Read the DOSBox readme.
Notice that:
1. In a shortcut to the DOSBox executable, you can disable the status console and declare more than one config file to be used (in which case the later ones override the earlier).
2. In that case, autoexec sections of the declared config files are all executed one after the other in the order of the configs they came from
3. You can use the autoexec section of the config to startup a game without user interaction and close DOSBox when the program terminates (using the exit command).

Therefore, by creating new config file that only has to contain any required alterations to your main DOSBox config, then copying of the DOSBox (noconsole) shortcut and adding a second config declaration to it that points to your new config, you have a shortcut to run DOSBox on altered settings. And so, you can make it run a specific game automatically when you run that shortcut.

I've got fifty configs for various games set up this way, another for plain DOSBox, and finally one that runs a selection menu between several MOD players and mounts my MOD music collection under drive D. It's easy to do once you get the hang of it.

There are certain things I've done to make the process a little easier:
1. The games I've made these shortcuts for are moved into a separate subdirectory of my main DOSgames dir, for the sake of convenience. (the name I use is Shorted)
2. That directory is the default C mount in my main DOSBox config, so that I don't have to repeat the mount line in every config that runs a game.
This means that all a game-specific config has to contain is the autoexec section with the exact commands that enter the game's subdirectory and run it. (assuming the game runs as it is supposed to on the default config)
3. The "plain" shortcut received an additional config declaration that:
* Unmounts the C drive
* Mounts my main DOSGames directory as drive C
* Runs Norton Commander.
The last thing is for convenience again, as I prefer the GUI over stumbling around blindly and using command line for everything.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman