Thread: Shadowgate
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #28
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

It's main executable of Shadowgate, obviously. As it's DOS-game, it cannot be malware, by definition. False positive then.

(Only if it's not some "helpful" windows-pack, with DOSBox and everything, in one windows self-extracted package though - in this case it really can be malware masked under game hood).

Well, I don't like Kaspersky for it's _enormous_ greed for resources, but here it could have it's reasons. Program that tries to connect some third-party site without user consent and download something, not directly related to this program? Highly suspicious! :P
I understand your explanation and also understand your reasons for disliking Kaspersky. Norton and McAfee users also often complain about the heavy resources these programs consume on the Operating System...

I heard from a Moderator from the Kaspersky Forums, in the Sub-Forum of the Portuguese Language, that Kaspersky uses Secunia technology to check for updates to the applications installed on the Operating System. Well, that would be a pretty suspicious action too, right?

Probably, KIS / KTS would act as the Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) which, by the way, freezes frequently when it is opened...

For those interested in Software Update Checker, the best ones, in my opinion (from my past experiences ), are those listed below:

FileHippo.com Update Checker / FileHippo App Manager;
SUMo - Software Update Monitor (SUMo Lite is definitely the best one, although there are some false positives of updates... *shrug*).

And curiously, while installing Alcohol 120% Full Version, the small Smart File Advisor can be optionally installed... Average in my opinion...