Old 06-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #120
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Geordy@Feb 6 2006, 02:05 PM
@Shadow:Write
Quote:
mount d: <cd-drive>:/ -t cdrom
into the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf.

@MoO: Yeah I still have it on my HD. I recall me taking always those damn humans being experts at diplomacy. This way I had relatively less problems with other races teaming up on me. Important: dont install an alliance to one of the other races - NAP is just fine to not being dragged into wars you dont want.

Choosing Psilons is for sissies! On the other hand they are worthy opponents.

For fleet layouts: I found ion/neutron stream projectors on three different ships highly effective... :whistle: Those nice little weapons plus the black hole generator are absolutley dominating over the other weapons.
I have a fondness for the Klackons, the Darloks, and the Sakkras. The Klackon are great for their production bonus, even if their poor propulsion research gets you down. The Darloks get others to do their research for them. Finally, the Sakkras are better at ground combat than the Bulrathi. This is counter-intuitve, but it works like this: although the Bulrathis get a 25% bonus in ground combat, the Sakkras breed twice as fast, so at the higher tech levels, the Sakkras can just send 25% of the population from a couple of worlds to a target, and if any casualties are inflicted each turn, they will eventually succeed. The Bulrathis have to build up their numbers in between attacks, but the sakkras (with eco spending) stay at max pop. The Sakkra planetology rating means that their planets are likely to be highly populated, and they can dump colonists
on a star system almost as fast as you can bring up additional attackers.

I have a fondness for huge ships with battle scanners, autorepair, and high energy foci. At the lower tech levels, they are armed with a mix of streaming weapons, megabolt cannon (for precision) and something more destructive than megabolt cannon (if I have something), plus something for taking out ground bases.
Should the game slog on long enough for me to get maulers, that is all I use, as scouring planets clean of disagreeable republicans (who formed it without me), is my primary goal and maulers are dual use, even if they are a waste on small and medium craft.

If I get stellar converters, there is the temptation to leave out the high energy focus, but stellar cobverters are useless against maxed out shielding.

Black hole generators can be a help if one of the computer players has a stack of 32000 warships, but it is easier, and takes less ships to destroy the race than those 32000 ships.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell