View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 06:25 AM   #512
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Um, but you can also buy it on Steam, no? There are a games, available on Origin or Ubistore only. There are games, restricted to one console only (they usually even boasts them as "exclusives"). There are games, available on Epic, and Epic only (they even _pay_ for this exclusivity, and don't think that they do something bad). What's wrong with Steam then? Why it is "racist", when others are not?

(Also, I believe, it's hardly _Steam_ decision after all. I think, it's better to direct your anger on the game authors - and maybe they will respond, who knows).
Well, in order:

#1 it is not exclusive. That's the issue. If the thing would be exclusive to Steam, I'd be fine with it. It isn't. Book of Demons and Whatever Else Coming is on 4-5 service provider.
I could even accept SOME price-differences (because of contractual reasons), but not this lot.

#2 the problem with Steam is many. Aside they being "need internet connection to play", their customer-side program is obnoxious, and consumes a ton of resources of your computer. But the main problem is, they seems to pay to ruin other servicers.

One major problem is, they achieved they get everything sooner. Usualy a week, but many times even a month earlier, sometimes HALF A YEAR sooner. AND there's no spoiler restriction there ASIDE like a week when the program first appear on their site. So they recognise spoiler, but don't respect the players (of other sites).

Second, Steam many times get exclusive PARTS of programs. Yes, I mean full DLCs, or their old names: expansions. Yes, even free ones. Why can't every customer get access to these contents? This is again NOT exclusivity, because the core program is available elsewhere. And these things are not cosmetic, to even suggest to provide servicer-unique alternative.

Third, this price-gap I've mentioned. It can NOT be the developer's idea, at least by what they let us know. If someone wants crowdfunding, their goal is, to get it from the widest possible range. Only a fool would restrict themselves to a single servicer, UNLESS the site gives them a hugh amount of money to do so.
That's just common sense.

So, all the little things added up, and now I'm seriously fed up with Steam. Especialy people mindlessly telling me "why not buy it on Steam TOO". Just fuck you, people.