View Single Post
Old 30-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #506
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

It looks like I'm totally mistaken. I was playing Transport Tycoon, not Deluxe. I've just downloaded Deluxe, I may check it out soon and post results.

For this original version of the game, closure certainly has nothing to do with giving bad service. Here is what I'm aware of in the original, non-Deluxe release:

- Closures and openings occur randomly on the 1st of a month.
- Only industries sending products to a station can close.
- Having observed scores, perhaps even hundreds, of closures, I can say the chance of a closure appears linked to the cargo payment rate and the production rate.
- The highest chance of closure is with a bank or coal mine (very high cargo payment rate) producing large quantities per month.
- The lowest chance of closure is with a goods producer (average rates but very, very low default production per month). Factories seldom close. Instant production, such as bringing wood to a mill that instantly turns it into goods, does not seem to count.
- Power plants never close because they don't produce anything transportable. When a power plant opens, it's there for good. In theory one can cover the map in power plants by running top-notch service to everything else, sending them on course for their demise.

---
I should add, I'm happy at the idea of being able to "nurture" an industry by running transport service to it. Destruction is fun and all but it doesn't seem very realistic for a mine to shut down the day after the railroad hooks it up.

Last edited by tristanzz; 30-07-2015 at 03:25 PM.
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz