View Single Post
Old 19-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
cpt renault
Forum hobbit

Default History of Abandonia?

Hello everyone.
As is probably quite obvious, I'm quite new to this site--or at least, this aspect of it. Mainly, I would come, snatch a few interesting titles, and scurry away, with few thoughts about the site where I found them. Only recently have I registered and started to look at it fully.
And what a place it is. I hadn't realized the vast, unseen community dedicated to making this site the resource that it is. And so for the last few days, I've been most intrigued as I delved through the old threads and posts, learning of the labors and good times this mass effort has facilitated through the years. And that, I think, is a story worth documenting. The site does have a vague history page, giving important dates and numbers through the last 10 years. And for the average user, thats all that matters.
But it seems this numerical, milestone-based approach to the site fails to give credit to the element most responsible for its success: The dozens of dedicated individuals and their countless hours of dedicated labor, without which the site would be...well, nothing.
We can study history as a series of dates and numbers, and that does carry import, but there is always so much more, so many human stories responsible for those numbers.
That's something this site seems to lack. There are vague footprints, traces of past members hidden deep in the forums, and countless stories in the memories of the present users. That's the thought that most fascinates me. In this group and in these countless threads, there lies the full Abandonia story, one that seems every bit worthy remembering.
In short, I'm thinking that Abandonia has a story worth telling--many stories, in fact--and I was wondering if anyone else agrees. If so, perhaps slowly these disparate pieces of history could be woven together, and the hidden history of the site made visible for all who come after.
cpt renault is offline                         Send a private message to cpt renault