View Single Post
Old 30-03-2005, 07:44 AM   #594
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan Rayo@Mar 30 2005, 06:29 AM
BASE UNDER ATTACK!

LOL, THIS.IS.A.GREAT.GAME!!!!

So there I was, commander in Chief of the XCOM iniciative, pretty satisfied with the way things were going. 8 bases around the world pick up ALMOST every UFO, and our plasma beam / avalanche misile equipped interceptors are doing short work of them all, with the exception of those nasty battle ships. In any case, research for a new kind of craft is already under way, and I figured any time now, I would be able to stand up to those as well.

Yup, It was a good job to be a soldier defending earth from the alien scum.

That is, of course, until SurafriCOM came under attack.

My misile defenses, all 6 of them, turn out to be really pitifull, as only ONE actually conected with the invading ship. Alarms blaring, troops hastily picking up some armor and weapons ran to face the until now unthinked off menace.

First blood was mine. Positioning my troops at the end of a rather LONG corridor, I ordered the way in to be literally bathed in proximity mines. The GRAYS that came close enough were blasted to goo by a couple of Heavy plasma wielding sharpshooters positioned at the end of the corridor.* It was a killing zone. For a minute there, I actually thought it was easy.

Too easy.* All of a sudden, 3 of my BELOVED CRACK TEAM members came under alien attack, turing on their mates and killing at least a cuople of them. At the same time, the dreaded sound of a blaster bomb being launch ended my hopes: by the time the dust settled, I had just ONE defender left.

The rookie went out with style, by all acounts. He ran back, threw a couple of grenades (disposing of a couple of traitors AND some greys) and with but a laser rifle and tattered personal armor digged himself in a corner.

But the base was already lost, and he was surrounded. After some fire exchange, fighting off their mind control, he got at least two other grays (sectoids!) until I heard, again, the coming death that is the sound of a blaster bomb.

SurafriCOM was lost.

I figured they managed to set free the couple of mutons and the snake alien that I kept as trophies..er., prisioners since waaayyy back into the game. Bastards. As I speak, 6 Skyrangers full of powerarmored troops are on the way to kick behind, and NONE of them have any GUM left!

ok, rant over. Couple of questions. Well, just one actually> WHAT IS the best way to defend my base against alien invasion? SurafriCOM I figure I could have defended with some judicius repositioning of my troops, and the base layout works in my favor, but my very first base, New Albion in England, I SHUDDER to think what would happen if it was hit: Hangars in the corners and access hatch smack in the middle of it.

Any help will be greaty appreciated. The brave fighting men and women lost in SurafriCOM will be avenged.

:ranting:
The first base is terrible in layout, so what I try to do when I have the money is to relocate the bottom two hangars to the top left and top right:

[Hangar][Hangar][Hangar]
XXXXXXXX[AL]XXXXXXXX
[Rest of my base here.....]
[.....more of the base......]
[.....more of the base......]

AL = access lift
X = empty space

That way, I don't get a long hallway but at least I get to surround the access lift's southern border. You can also sell off the stuff diagonal-and-down from the access lift to make a short hallway for yourself:

[hangars.....................................]
XXXXXXXXXXX[AL]XXXXXXXXXXX
[blahblah]XXXXX[]XXXXX[blahblah]
[blahblahblahblahrest of base blah.]
[more of your base blah blah blah]

Mind control is hard to defend against, even with the long hallway (see my previous post, but I think you know what I mean since it's common practice among veterans). I wrote several pages ago my easy-as-pie situation using "spotters" and laser rifles, but you have to keep the aliens so far away that they can't see your soldiers to mind control them. They should be so far away that they can't see anyone to Blaster Launch, either. So use those spotters!

Missile defenses are worthless; you want to either have soldiers for base defense or at least 4 Fusion Ball Launchers with 1 Grav Shield. Either that or just Mind Shield the whole base.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident