View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #14
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@May 5 2005, 01:07 PM
1. No-one is selling the game (second-hand auctions doesn't count).
2. No-one is supporting the game.
3. No-one will get mad at us for placing the software up for download.

@ gregor
I am fully aware that others claim that a software is abandoned as long as no-one is supporting it. We, however, don't.
Ok first of all i would like to see those points that Smurf guy made put in the what is abandoware question made in your forums here. Instead it states some statement from wikipedia which IMO is correct, yet obviously not with policy of the site.

Secondly (and this one goes to all) i argue that not only that software withot propper support is abandonware but it might also be illegal to sell such software.
Why? because it has nothing (porpwer instuctions for nowadays users - children) that will protect consumer from making a mess out of his computer system.

why is that so? because a lot of games have it stated that they work in win 3.11 or higher. while in fact it might not work in win 2000 - that means it's all a fraud. get it?

A good example of proper old software that is still sold is Commander Keen. This game is (1) still sold and (2) they have tech support for WinXP (how to make the game work in WMDSound) and you can even write to them and they will help you.

A bad one would be from my experience Terra Nova. I saw it in the store that it is still being sold, yet there is no support for it.

Point being IF someone has rights for certain game (engine) and is selling it, than they have to provide tech support, instructions for todays computers etc. otherwise it's illegal to sell such software. As i sad before games are not artistic works (like music movies...) where one can hold it's right for 20 years (i think it's 20 or is it 25?) after which he looses them.

Also i wonder if the game is still not abandonware if an online store in Nepal (i wonder if they have Internet there?) is selling it while you can't get it in Europe?
And also is it abandonware if a programme or game is being sold by some online store and not by original company?
example ID game is sold in online store but you can't get it from ID.
Also which stores count and which ones don't? do only internet stores count? what abotu those down the street? you would all be suprised how many original package old games you can get there, eventhough they really are abandoned.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor