View Single Post
Old 18-04-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The book is very good but I thought it sequels were not good. I never read them all but the three or so that I did read were bad.

In the movie the Baron is not stupid but he is a bit over the top. His nephew or son (I forgot which what he is) that rules Dune for a time after the occupation is portrayed as being stupid but this true to the book. The worst thing about the Movie is that it tries to get to much from the book into the movie. In the book there are a lot of parts where the characters are thinking to themselves about events. These are in the movie as dubbed over speeches. The actors just stare puzzled for a few seconds as you hear them talking in the dub. Very stupid and irritating.
The miniseries is not that close to the book either. The name Muad' Dib is not even mentioned and I believe the word Jihad is not named either (for obvious but false reasons). The entire Middle Eastern mysticism has been dulled down or erased. The characters lack an edge that makes them interesting and the story lacks speed. All in all in my opinion the movie is better.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles