Thread: Vlaams Blok
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I agree, like with the Austrian right winger (I already forgot his name) after he got in power people saw how they were a bunch of misfits.
By imposing this entire cordon the Vlaams Belang is getting attention aswell as votes, I also think it is highly undemocratic. However the Vlaams Belang has its uses, people are showing the government that the situation as it is now can't continue. I know my mother had to close her shop because the street it was located in (which was once the most expensive and popular street in Antwerp) had fallen into dispair. Youth gangs (composed mostly of young immigrants) mugged old ladies and even the police was often scared to come there. And what did the government do? The government built even more social housing so all the immigrants could come there.
As a result of both prejudice and grounded fear people started avoiding the neighbourhood and the street spiraled into decay. And thus the people showed their discontent at the Government's lax policy by supporting the Vlaams Blok.
But by this time the government still hasn't changed much.