Thread: Which Os?
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2005, 02:28 AM   #40
Mucman

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Jan 24 2005, 01:20 AM
Can you tell me more about that Music Player Daemon??

I have couple of computers that I might use for simillar thing. I also like to do simillar thing you have done.

Do you more preffer OpenBSD over FreeBSD? :blink:
Here's and article I wrote, but it's a little outdated now. It's all in the ports tree under musicpd. The Official Website will probably explains things better than I can.

The essence of MPD is that it is a process that can be controlled remotely to play music. Configuration of it was telling it where your files are located ('/mnt/mp3' in my case), and that's about it! It indexes all of your music and it is ready to handle requests. That's where the php web interface comes in. Instead of telnetting to the box it is much nicer to use a GUI (especially when guests want to play with it). I am currently using phpmp and it handles everything nicely. The web server can obviouslly run on the same box as MPD, but I have things seperated just for experience purposes.

And about BSD... I like all the BSDs. I use FreeBSD because it's a little more leading edge with newer hardware support. I like OpenBSD for firewalls and servers where security matters above all else. NetBSD is something I have just recently tried out and I love it for its clean design but I don't know much about it yet.

Hope that helps!
Mucman is offline                         Send a private message to Mucman