View Single Post
Old 24-02-2024, 11:58 AM   #569
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Elvira 1-2

Oh, man.
First: despite its age and old-style clunky interface, this WOULD be an acceptable game to complete.
Two things stands in its way:

One: you start without a hub, no access to Elvira and her spellcrafting. Genious. Also no map. Ridiculous. Yu have no idea where to go at the start, and every junction there is an enemy, and no sign where you'll find the hub you desperately need.

Two: this game works on consumables. I always have to ask since Maniac Mansion: WHY? At least make them respawn!
If you have mana, or whatever, you should be able to refill it whenever the player wants it. Either by standing around (boring), or going back to the hub (tp pls), or the bare minimum of respawning consumables.
Sure, you can have limited consumables if this is a survival-game, but then the player must have a very good idea what they are doing. Here you do not.
And this is not Maniac Mansion, which worked on very limited number of rooms.

You could probably beat it eventualy, but I feel things would just fall back to save-scumming, and I don't rly see the replay value.