View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Umm... It depends on how deep you want to go, and how user-friendly game you expect.

Speaking on above, Bard's Tale and Might and Magic are quite user-friendly series, if you are ready to draw endless mazes and remember some (not very much) spells. Dungeon Master seems in the same vein, but I am not sure, I didn't play it. Unlike Wizardry that totally not recommended, as it have a lot of everything, from loot to class synergy and special spells.

On the other hand, if you are want more eye-candy, you can skip year or two, and went right to 1990-91, where choices are multiple:

- Dark Spyre - simple but addictive dungeon crawler with a lot of options. Funny, but this type of gameplay after start of 90s on PC was repeated first time only in Diablo - and with heavy weighted to loot and random gameplay, it became totally different.

- Ideas of Dark Spyre was developed in two more Event Horizon games: Dusk of the Gods and The Summoning. Both are "puzzle-dungeons", similar to Dark Spyre, but more advanced and with heavier plot. Unfortunately, third game with the same engine, Veil of Darkness failed to get my attention. It's too plot-related, and too unforgiven for errors. Not my thing.

- The Legacy. Interesting horror-RPG hybrid, but demanding sometimes in action sequences.

Hmm, actually, in this time frame I cannot found nothing more. Well, there is always Nethack and Rogue, and I heard that all Ultimas are great... but I never tried any.

Well, after checking Moby, I can name several more, but they are somewhat not exactly what you need:

- Dark Heart of Uukrul. Spell reference is heavy needed, but you have automap!

- Darklands. Again, heavy depends on manual, but intuitive in many other places.

- HeroQuest. It's more strategy than RPG. Fun, but different.

Hmm, that's all for me. More fun games in later years though.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre