View Single Post
Old 30-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

1. Silent Hill 2.

2. Silent Hill 2 is good for a variety of reasons, a lot of them are tied to the theme it represents, that is survival horror. In the first place it's a great atmospheric game coupled with a chilly soundtrack. You explore supposedly a resort town, called Silent Hill, but it's devoid of almost any human life. There's not that big of a story going on, but it is revealed gradually as you advance. Every time you encounter a human, you feel like you've done some serious progress and this brings immense satisfaction. You're wondering what he is going to say about the predicament and will listen to his words with interest.

Silent Hill is also a world full of twisted secrets, and even though it sounds wrong, I enjoyed uncovering this disturbing information. It's a sign of a good structured story. The combat is not that great and it isn't supposed to be. The sole fact that there are monsters determined to kill is enough to make this game a complete horror package.

3. I think there's a reason why I chose to play Silent Hill 2, but I can't really put my finger on it. Okay one factor, is that once, I played a version of the first Silent Hill, which I didn't finish, so I was curious how the series would fare with better graphics. But if we're talking about the reason that kept me playing, I think the premise of being isolated in a town where you can explore different real-life facilities like schools, hospitals, towers, etc., but decayed and horrifying, and the fact that the horror is not overly gory, with well designed monsters - really clicked with me.

4. First to mind comes the main character, James Sunderland. It's a very good main character, relatively speaking, and most people can associate with him easily. But that doesn't matter - it matters that I can associate easily with him and I always have trouble with that in games, movies, books or other entertainment products.