View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Default Getting proper drivers for this laptop

As of typing this, I still havent figured out what the heck I should do, so any help would be appreciated.

I dugged up this old Laptop: Compaq Armada V300. This one in particular. It has okay RAM, okay CPU, but not okay enough for say Half-Life 2.

However, I was thinking of making it into a old Windows 98 computer. For nostalgia, something I can play while on bed and just for fun. I got a Windows 98 Special Edition and it installs okay. Managed to get sound drivers too and it plays those okay too. Well, Midi sounds bit off but I can manage that. (You should hear the beeper on this.)

Problem is, I cant get the graphics hardware right. I dont know the specifics on what it is, thus I dont know the specific drivers it needs. And with that, Im stuck with 16 colors and 640x480 display. The colors alone are bad enough.

So If anyone knows what drivers I need or what should I do to figure out what I need or some other alternative way to fix all this, let me know. I've been to HP's site and tried stuff on Driverscollection, but none of them have helped for graphics. I also tried to use CPU-Z to identify the hardware, but it seems that some newer programs dont want to work on Windows 98 (figures).

EDIT: The hardware should go higher than that, because there used to be a Windows XP on this computer, and it looked okay. Even played Sims properly.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen