View Single Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
- do you run abandon games, which you didn't played before (aka do you run "new old games")? How often compared to other oldies?
Of course. Whenever I find one which is interesting and I didn't play before. I consider myself a true gamer, an hardcore gamer. Not only do I consider it my duty to try out games but I also think it would not be fair not to try them and give them a chance. Whenever I find a great game I share it with my friends and close family who also like to talk about old games.

Some people consider themselves sport men. Some people consider themselves geek. Some nerds. I consider myself a gamer. That's what I do.
Quote:
- music / graphics / story / game idea - what part of the games got generally BETTER in the new games?
Well, there is a lot of areas that I consider actually got worse with new games... But what really got better with time with games is the interface and also the "newbie friendly" attitude. Back in the days it wasn't rare to find a game with an idea so great it practically made the whole game up... But which also used such a terrible interface, it was really painful. You kept playing those games because of the former and usually never played it again for the later. The newbie friendly attitude come first and foremost because old games needed to cut on installation space so much... You had to fit your game in a few 1.44 megs floppies max after all... With new games and a practically infinite amount of data storage with CD and later DVD, developers started adding more content to the games. Some of those contents were in the form of tutorials, detailed offline help files, data sheets... Heck, even the manuals often get digitized and packed on the CD so even if you lose your manual you're still good to go. In the good old days reading the manual was so critical sometimes you could not even play the game well without it.

Those two points are really what I'd consider the best improvement overall, for all genres.
Quote:
- Do you have some time in a year, in which you tend to play nostalgia games more?
Not really. The reality is more around "I play games whenever I actually have time to spend playing them". That's the burden of "growing up" and "getting a life"...
Quote:
- Why do you play old games?
I generally consider old games to have way, way better gameplay than new games. Old games are also more original and new games tend heavily to end up being clones of something else. Because of this I actually consider old games a great deal superior as a whole versus new games.

After a while it pretty much get summed up as: "The Simpsons already did it".

Quote:
I do have something of a preference for early-to-mid-90's sprite-based graphics than for high resolution 3D
I completely agree with that. Especially since I'm a strategy fan and that I think that 3D or elaborated graphics usually get in the way of a strategy game. Sprite graphics usually conciliate nice enough graphics with practicability.