Thread: Fantasy General
View Single Post
Old 29-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #212
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Regarding Fantasy Wars: Wargames converted to 3D perspective lose something in terms of "battlefield awareness". Stuff is usually zoomed in to show all the graphical bells&whistles. Top-down hex view or even isometric view allowed for easy range assessment, perspective distorts everything. This comment also applies to recent Settlers or new strategic map in Total War series and so on...
I found FW on a sale and decided to buy it. Haven't played it yet, though, still in middle of playing other games.

Quote:
Here we have a banner of knights, centaurs or Elven bowmen and tactical scale, so it makes more sense - despite fantastic setting, go figure! Also liked how wounds can make defeated units return to battle in just one turn - you have to be constantly on the offensive, never letting the enemy to fall back and regroup.
Yes, that's so true. I remember getting desperate to finish off those units that would have only a few members remaining (and most of those missing wounded), so they couldn't come back and fight in the next turn, to the point where I would send my fliers against them or put my own unit into danger (hoping for it to get away only wounded). And those monsters with multiple wounds (like Lionman) were the worst.