View Single Post
Old 28-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Hmm, I must disagree. He says that if the game had a lead female character, the game would've had more appeal to male teens whou would've bought the game making it an instant success. This might sound weird, but once in our forum's chatbox we reached a point when we started talking about the choice of main char in Resident Evil (Chris or Jill) and a couple of gamers which I considered very serious in their gaming addiction stipulated that they'd prefer staring at Jill's butt, instead of Chris', and did not choose a char according to the ease of association.

Suffice to say I was shocked, because I was playing Chris and did never look at his posterior... until they mentioned it, which made me think disgusted at how the human mind works.

However the reviewer's point still stands. Outside the Olympic games, people without regard to gender, had (at least some) clothes on them.

On a sidenote, the whole sexist and non-sexist thing is debatable. What many ask when they call someone "sexist" is that the respective person drop the mentality that makes him a man or woman, and judge things from a neutral point. That's not only wrong, but also boring because it mostly supresses subjectivity. For example saying that guys have no particular opinion on the pink color, but the girls love it and like to identify with it, would be a "sexist" affirmation in someone's opinion, right? The same here, the reviewer's a guy, and obviously a guy likes girls, also he wouldn't want someone to see him playing with a naked male protagonist. Perfectly understandable, it's his opinion, and an opinion isn't always share by all people, genders, classes etc