View Single Post
Old 17-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #3272
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to kad3t
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianphillips2347 View Post
I've always really wanted to play this game and today, I decided to get buy it from GOG....I regret not getting it sooner.
UFO is an AWESOME game and an old time classic. The balance between strategic planning and tactical team based gameplay is just perfect. If you're enjoying this, you'll also love the successor - X-COM Terror from the Deep.

[quote=ianphillips2347;402900]It's an awesome game - I don't exactly have the best tactics (basically it involves rolling out the Rocket Tank to take down all the alien guys outside the ship and then sending in the 'marines' to do the clearing inside). It's not pretty but so far no fatalities for us.[/QUOTES]

Well, I could give you a couple of tips if you'd like but honestly the best part of the game is to find out all those little yet important things by yourself. What is crucial though is to pick your team carefully when you start the game (based on soldiers stats - hire & fire if necessary) & then try to keep them all alive as much as you can cause the more missions they go through and more aliens they kill their stats will go up dramaticaly. I mean by the time I went on the final mission I had three out of my initial chosen eight soldiers still with me and all of them had like ~190APs & 85+ Accurancy...

Quote:
I've found doing the ones in the cities a lot harder though (stupid side streets and alley ways too small for my tank!!! lol) but it's great fun going from building to building trying to find them while having civys running about.
Terror missions tend to be a bit more demanding then the regular crash sites. However for me alien bases were initialy the toughest. On the other hand, after a while I had nearly two months (in game time) of just alien bases with no crash sites or terror missions at all and this sort of helped me develop my tactical approach towards these.

Quote:
(...) Thanks to research I've just managed to get my brave guys some funky personal armour and a medi-kit (yep, just the one...they have to share it among themselves....I like to think of the guy that starts with it as my 'medic'.......well, that's actually my excuse for being to tight to develop some more).
I think having one medic per 3/4 troops is a good balance however people here will probably advise you otherwise. ^__^

Quote:
(...) Is there much variation in landscape, interiors, etc as the game progresses or does it stay pretty much as it is throughout?
Well, most cities have same tiles just with a different layout. As for crash sites the graphics are dependant on the area you shot down the alien ship over. It will look different in Africa, North Pole or Central Europe and so on... There's also alien bases & your own, that is if you ever get attacked by them...

All in all I do agree with you that it's an awesome game! I just completed it again after years a week or so ago and am slowly preparing myself to jump into part two... ^__^

For some entertaining playthrough of UFO - use it more as an entertainment than actual tactical guideline - I'd like to direct you towards a guy called Necroscope86 on youtube. His playthrough is real fun.