View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #24
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

I have to disagree on one point. BG is NOT a strategy RPG. It's plain and simply a CRPG. Which tend to have a rule system behind them, which in case leads to strategic and tactical battles. But that does not make BG (or BG2 for that matter) a strategy RPG. For me the strategy/RPG genre is made up by games like: Rage of Mages, Blood & Magic (though one could argue over this one), FF Tactics and the likes. As in strategy games with RPG elements. Also note that I won't count Warcraft 3 or any other RTS, but that's just my personal view of not counting them as strategy games at all I'm devoted to TBS, so there you have it.
Take ToEE for example. It has the best and fullest realization of the 3.5E combat system and mechanics. But it's not in any way a strategy/RPG hybrid. It is a CRPG, and a dungeon crawler to booth. Just because the combat is turn based, you have myriads of options to choose from does not a strategy game make. By the way, this has been bugging me for a while (And it being in the Poll Title certainly isn't helping), what would qualify as a "Pure'" RPG then? Alter Ego?
And yes, I am rabidly defending the genre I like, for some have pointed out that BG is a poorly executed action game in contrast to Morrowind.
As I hate to write *bleep*, I refrain from commenting on this one.