View Single Post
Old 22-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
serpens

Default Sound Blaster PCI 128 - no sound...

Hello.

Lately, I had an idea about setting up a machine dedicated to running older games. The oldest computer I have is a HP Vectra VL400 - it has Pentium III 933 MHz, 192 MB RAM etc. It also has an integrated sound chip which wasn't good enough for me (didn't work at all in Tyrian 2000, for example).

What I did was: format the hard drive, put in the Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card, then install Windows 98 SE. And after installing all the required drivers... there was no sound in DOS games.

Now, I don't think this is the card's fault. First, I had it in a much older machine and it worked perfectly with DOS games. Second, only a few weeks ago I had it in a dual-boot XP/98 machine and it worked with DOS games too. And third, there IS sound in Windows. Only the DOS games have no sound at all.

I've tried doing quite a few things - manipulating with IRQs (can't set them in BIOS, though), changing AUTOEXEC.BAT and SBPCI.INI, installing DOS 7.1 instead of Windows 98, even installing FreeDOS. I used both my driver CD and DOS drivers which can be found here:

http://easymamecab.mameworld.info/html/snddosdr.htm

All to no result. Not even once did sound appear in ANY DOS game. Perhaps anyone has some experience with this sound card and could tell me what can I do?
serpens is offline                         Send a private message to serpens