View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #275
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Default X-Wing Collector's Cd-Rom Tips

I'm playing this at the moment and it is a classic, even if it borrows from Wing Commander.

I just want to add that I'm playing with a mouse and without PPJoy because that application would give erratic moves. It IS possible to play with a mouse if you put your mouse sensibility (configuration panel) to the maximum. The real thing you need to focus on is learn the ideal followsuit speed for each enemy craft (and they vary depending of the craft you are flying). I find that some are hard to match, example an enemy A-Wing, when you have no choice to lower your shield or laser powers to gain some speed. But once you find the perfect speed for a type of enemy craft, you simply play with going a couple numbers up (to get closer) and a couple numbers down (if you get too close) and you should have an easy time shooting.

Second rule is always upper your shields when you can, and use laser power transfer every couple times you get hit.

I find that, after exercising in the Pilot Proving Ground, it's better to play the first 3 Historical Combat sets (X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing) and then the more ambitious CD Missions. I would keep the B-Wing Historical missions for later, because some of them are more difficult, but also they assume you have played the first 3 Tour Of Duty, or more to the point, in the Star Wars universe, these events appear later on, if you get my drift.

You should save a copy of your Pilot each time you complete a Tour Of Duty mission, because that is the only way to "save" in X-Wing (the Pilot file is the .PLT file that has your pilot's name).

Don't forget that Tie Bombers or anything that shoot torpedoes are your priority, but I should really say, second priority, the first being to execute the goals that are enlisted to you.

Use the TOPACE5 pilot as a wingman and give him orders, but always make a backup for him too (there is one on the CD anyway).

If you get stucked on a single mission, they are a couple editors out there to cheat and make-believe you have completed it. I'm saying because sometimes a mission is really bugging, and then the couple next are not so hard.

Don't forget to adjust the difficulty to "NEW" if you are indeed a newbie.

Cheers,

Talkie

PS: this was about the original DOS Collector's Cd-Rom. There is a later
"remake" which can't be played with a mouse.

PS2: It would be great if someday someone scanned the PDF of the original manual with the Farlander Story. The Cd-Rom edition manual is boring.

Last edited by Talkie; 10-12-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: you don't wanna know.
Talkie is offline                         Send a private message to Talkie