View Single Post
Old 14-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
SlowCoder
Game freak

Default Abandonware Menu System ...

Along with being an abandonware collector, I'm also a programmer. As far as DOS level stuff, I've got experience in QuickBasic from years ago. My nostalgia for the language was recently increased, and I've been looking for a project.

My idea was to build a menu program largely for DOS abandonware that includes the following features:
- An ability to perform a search and catalog for games by way of MD5 signature of primary executables. This could require the involvement of folks to perform the signature creation, and would not be a one-man job.
- It would be DOS based, written in QB or perhaps VB for DOS. I'm doing it in DOS, as I think it would have a more old-school feel, and would run directly in a DOS environment, even pure DOS. I have experience with both QB and VB (Windows), so I can't see how it would be too difficult to learn VBDOS if I needed.
- Would utilize easy to use INI file structures, which could be easily modified by libraries.

I actually already started this project (in QB) as a pet, and have a few of the pieces put together so far.

The eventual outcome of this project would be that it become available freely to abandonware users, and make cataloging of their collections much easier.

What do you think?
SlowCoder is offline                         Send a private message to SlowCoder