View Single Post
Old 29-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

if the game was made for Dos it doesnt' mean it would run under windows. It may or may not run. maybe it runs but sound doesn't work... there are more options.

That is why they made Dosbox, which is emulator. It means it creates a simulation of DOS.

now since you have Win98, you actually do not need DosBox to run dos games. because Win98 is based on DOS. to fully access dos i recomend either creating a boot disk (abandonia boot disk does this quite nicely) or hit F8 before windows load and selecting DOS. only that way you will get into pure dos. And you can there attempt to run the game. if you decide to use dos you will likewise need to install CD player (with propper command), configure the memory, mouse and sound card in Autoexec.bat file. since you need to know the commands to do this windows became more sucesfull as a result. commands are done by clicking and going through menus there.

Also some games might run nicelly if you choose in Win98 to run it in dos or to restart computer in DOS mode or something like that. however i had problems with a lot of games running them this way. reason was that Win98 left some stuff in RAM or it occupied the IRQ used by soundcard in DOS.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor