View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #29
STFM
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Aug 31 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]307940[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
what good is firewall if you get a worm? i once got it and it kept on mutliplying itself. as soon as i did a virus scan files were found and removed, but in the mean time new were made. finnally i got it off when i found a programme on the net.

another time i seen firewall alone to fail was at work. with some sophicsticated firewalls and antivirus programes, some malware attached to my computer (still have no idea how) and started to pop up nasty pr0n sites. they cleaned it afterwards, by locating the source and deleting it.

so i think one still needs virus protection programme.

especially if you are sharing
[/b]
You get a worm for one of two reasons.
1. Someone finds a way into your system and plants the worm
2. A user on the inside runs software that is infected

Hardware firewalls stop number 1, I stop number 2 by not running things I dont trust. My email is scanned by my ISP too.
If someone really wanted to hack my computer Im sure they could. I dont have a static IP and only have ports 80, 443 and a few other mapped ports open. I keep my windows security updates current and use firefox. I use a dedicated VM server for all external things like chat clients so if it does get infected, I just delete it and start clean

Since I started using the hardware firewall and firefox, I havent had any spyware whereas before it was ridiculous! I probably should run an antivirus though.
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM