Thread: 300
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #19
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

I saw it last night and I thought it was quite good.

Some of the shots during the battles were beautiful; I thought the fighting was elegant.

As far as the other plots going on in the movie...eh...not so great.

The Spartans were freaking insane, that's all I have to say. If I saw a group of 300 trained killers half naked charging at me with their war cry I would probably piss myself and curl into the fetal position.

As far as the homo-eroticness of the movie, I disagree. Historically, the Spartans fought wearing only a cloak and harness for weapons, if even that. In other words, they fought pretty much naked except for their shield and helmets. The Spartans were known for their lightning speed and ferocity, not heavy armor like their Athenian Greek rivals. It is likewise conspicuous that the Athenian navy is missing from this version of the story of the battle of Thermopylae, let alone that more than one other Greek city state was represented in the battle overall.

I think those who say it's homo-erotic are the same people who say there was too much homosexual tension in Lord of the Rings between Frodo and Sam, and Pippin and Merry. They don't understand the concept of brotherhood.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ