View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #29
schnobs

Minor issue: on the higher difficulty levels, the AI players will act in a concerted effort against you. They don't care who of them will win, their sole concern is to stop you, the player. On the one hand, this is a little silly; on the other, it becomes necessary once you've learned the ins & outs of the game.

As to the Diesel Trains changing ownership and never moving (mentioned further up): that's a valid technique. Except under very certain circumstances, no company may ever be without a train. If the companies' funds won't suffice, the main shareholder has to put in some money out of his own pocket (selling stock for cash if necessary). If that still won't suffice, that character goes bankrupt and the game is over.
By constantly selling the same train from one of his companies to the other, the train will never move (and hence never generate revenue). However, in the meantime that character's other stock may rise in value and/or pay out some dividends, so that after some turns of idling he may finally purchase that second train. Maybe. Maybe not. At least he remains in the game, and where's live there's hope.

Finally....
The crack as offered on HOTU unpacks fine on Win98 systems, XP boxes will refuse to open it. Maybe if you get your hands on the old command-line pkunzip and try it in a DOS window (or under DosBox)... I didn't try this though.

Wether or not this game will run seems to be a matter of luck. I've had varying results on different OS'es and emulators and even on different machines running the same OS and emulator. It can be anything from a total no-go to flawless operation, perhaps the most annoying case was when the game ceaselessly kept prompting me for a password, and another, and another.

Either way, in my personal opinion, getting this game to work is worth any amount of hassle.

regards,
Schnobs