View Single Post
Old 21-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #48
plix
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carpetsmoker @ Jan 21 2007, 01:55 AM) [snapback]275844[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
I believe mathematics should be emphasized when dabbling in computers and programming.[/b]
I don't think that math be viewed as an end-goal for programmers.
I know that almost all, if not all, non-trivial programs have some degree of math, but math is just one of many means to reach a goal, and should not become a goal upon itself.
Sure, math is useful when dealing with RSA encryption, or JPEG compression, but just how many programmers deal with that? (you just use libssl, or jasper)

For example, when a kid learns to ride a bike, he learns to ride a bike.
He doesn't learn how to steer, or how to to peddle, or to watch out.
He just learns to ride a bike.
The steering, peddling, and watching out comes as a part of that, or with experience[/b]
All programming is predicated and modeled upon various disciplines of mathematics. If you can't pedal, steer, and maintain you balance you can't ride a bike. Playing a game of semantics doesn't change the fact that your grasp of discrete mathematics, lambda calculus, and formal proofs will have a significant impact upon your skills. The only forms of math you even mentioned were continuous, which is a very handicapped view of the subject.

Sure, just sort of throwing your feet out to the sides and using them to push the bike forward and maintain balance could probably be considered "riding" the bike, learning how to pedal and steer makes riding said bike practical.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix