View Single Post
Old 21-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #47
carpetsmoker
Forum hobbit

Quote:
I believe mathematics should be emphasized when dabbling in computers and programming.[/b]
I don't think that math be viewed as an end-goal for programmers.
I know that almost all, if not all, non-trivial programs have some degree of math, but math is just one of many means to reach a goal, and should not become a goal upon itself.
Sure, math is useful when dealing with RSA encryption, or JPEG compression, but just how many programmers deal with that? (you just use libssl, or jasper)

For example, when a kid learns to ride a bike, he learns to ride a bike.
He doesn't learn how to steer, or how to to peddle, or to watch out.
He just learns to ride a bike.
The steering, peddling, and watching out comes as a part of that, or with experience

I finished high school, never went to college.
Although I do quite a bit of reading on physics, math never really interested me, and never did any serious reading on the subject.
I won't say I'm a top-of-the-line programmer, but I'd like to think that I'm "ok", even though I keep writing stuff, never release it, and eventually just delete it :/

Quote:
As for me, I never finished school, so my education is lacking[/b]
Mark Twain once said:
"I never let schooling get in the way of my education"

Schooling and education are two different things, if you can learn stuff on your own without listening to crap teachers and paying enormous college bills then that's a good thing.
carpetsmoker is offline                         Send a private message to carpetsmoker