View Single Post
Old 17-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #22
GrimFang4
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to GrimFang4

Hunh? They didn't upload the copy-protection codes? What's the use, then? I'm very disappointed, so I'll gather them up for you when I get home tonight (assuming they don't appear before then).

Little Fish, there is no way to salvage this review using GameBringer's text as a base.
The game is called "Unlimited Adventures", not "Heirs to Skull Crag" for a reason. That module is just a sample adventure and cannot be representative of the entire game. He even says "Amazingly this game was allowing players to create MODules all the way back in 1993". Does a good review say that something is amazing and then never go into it? Why is it amazing, then? The reason that I, likely correctly, said that GameBringer had probably never played AD&D is because one needs to know how to approach D&D games. "Modern" RPGs like he mentioned may have level scaling, but nobody expects D&D games to because they're trying to be realistic. In D&D, a specific troll should always be that specific troll, not some half-hitpoint version. A party of two should logically never venture out further than a few feet from their starting point (the town) before their first battle unless they desperately want to be killed. Would you do that in real life if you were in this situation? This game tries to be realistic in that there are no physical barriers between you and certain death, you just need to approach danger carefully and realistically in order to avoid death. Also, he says that he "did not try every available race/class combination". If he had ever played AD&D, he wouldn't have said this. He would have known what these races/classes were anyways and could probably get away with saying that he had no need to try them out due to previous knowledge. If anyone knows about this, they'd tell him that there are absolutely no differences between the races at the beginning except for their stats and available classes. When GameBringer mentions the "poor presentation of player statistics", I think he just doesn't understand those stats the way they work in the AD&D world. This game was made for fans of the pre-1993 Gold Box series and of the pen & paper game, not for fans of RPGs made in 2006.

I conclude that he has never played AD&D.

And of course, to irk me beyond belief, he states without even touching the editor,
"It won't be unlimited, but it will be an adventure!"

How can that be defended? He is not just "trying to help", he is trying to gain credit by giving us something that I wouldn't even accept money for.