View Single Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

OK, so I have a few things I need to ask about in regards to modifying my oldschool machine:

1. I have a free (very huge) radiator heatsink from Sempron 2500. Could I use it (after cutting where needed to fit the mobo) on an oldschool P120 without fan and not risk overheating in process?

2. How could I reduce the noise generated by that same machine's PSU? Frankly, its currently the loudest component in the entire PC, and is plainly annoying.

3. I found out that connecting the fans (the old two-cable ones) to 12V rather then 5V increases their RPM and thus prevents some startup problems that occured before. However, that also increases the noise produced. Is there something I could do to have precise control over the voltage feed going to them?

And a side q... that one's freaky, I know...
Digging through my stuff I accidentally uncovered a Samsung AT-standard keyboard in ideal shape. Bought about three years ago or so, used maybe for a year. Cleaned all the dirt that stuck to it.
Now... I have this weird idea about modding that keyboard :
-Sanding down irregularities on the top panel (what grit sandpaper would be neccesary?)
-Spray-painting the whole thing black
-Hand-painting the letters and whatnot on the buttons... in a gothic font.
Also, I thought about unsoldering the LED's from the keyboard's PCB and soldering in some of a different color (red, yellow, orange... blue?) - they are all standard 12-V LED's you can buy in any electronics store for about 0,25$ or even less.
So... what do you you think of that idea? Good, bad or just plain outlandish?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman